Image by brandon-ramos.com

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Review: The Name of the Wind

Wherein I review sci-fi and fantasy books in the format of a conversation with a mildly rabid fellow reader.  Bold are the questions my (entirely imaginary) and definitely adversarial blog reader asks me.

The book:
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Rating:  Surprise!  I didn't like it.

But why?  Everyone else did!

This is a personal idiosyncrasy.   I don't like retrospectives.   *Shrug.*

That's a terrible reason not to like a book!
  True!  I'll expand.  Maybe it's my pragmatic side speaking but when Rothfuss opened the tale with a depressed former sorcerer who is literally whiling his life away and waiting to die, bereft of all magic and also there's the distinct threat of war and giant nasty spiders that could eat everyone alive, my personal sense of self preservation just wants to know more about what that guy is going to do about his immediate problems.  I don't have time to learn all about what a wunderkind he was.  There's a war on!  And personal healing to be done!  I want to hear about how that's gonna be solved before investing in a long meandering tale about sorcerer dude's past.  Only relevant insofar as it plays into his present.
So.. I skipped ahead in the book and discovered not only does this massive book not address any of Kote's current life problems, the next book (and maybe even the as yet to come final part of the trilogy) does not focus on Kote's present life challenges.
So basically, this entire trilogy is one massive prologue.
And I always skip the prologue cuz I'm impatient and I want to get to the action.

But... um... aren't you writing a fanfic inspired by this guy?  On ...Twitter?  (Questionable choice of medium there , btw).  
Well, you know what they say!  If the book you want to read hasn't been written yet by someone else... write it yourself!
And I do want to read about Kote's present life and I really am curious about how he's gonna pull through, find the will to live, and then get on with the living.
So I decided to write a bit about that.

In the extremely unlikely event he catches wind of this, Patrick Rothfuss will probably totally hate that.  

Maybe?  Or maybe it'll take the pressure off cuz he'll read my version of Kote and be like, "no, she got everything all wrong!" And  he'll be so incensed that he'll want to write about how it really goes, and then voila, fans of Rothfuss will rejoice because he wrote the long awaited sequel.

Everyone wins!

Even me, cuz as I said  I really want to know about present moment Kote and how he's gonna deal.

Also- some definitely totally good advise to Rothfuss, if you hate everything about writing this series by now, open the third book with Kote getting abruptly killed off so he can't tell the rest of his story.  Then, write the rest of your book about whatever you want.  Viola.  Problem of third book solved.

You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment